Press "Enter" to skip to content

Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting; two teen suspects dead

Image courtesy of assets2.cbsnewsstatic.com

Key takeaways:

  • Three men, including a security guard, were killed in a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego.
  • Two teenage suspects, ages 17 and 18, were found dead by apparent suicide near the mosque.
  • Police are investigating the shooting as a possible hate crime involving anti-Islamic rhetoric.

Three men were killed Monday in a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego, the largest mosque in San Diego County, police said. Two teenage suspects, aged 17 and 18, were found dead inside a vehicle nearby, believed to have died by self-inflicted gunshot wounds. San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl described the incident as “every community’s worst nightmare” and said the shooting is being investigated as a possible hate crime involving “hate rhetoric.”

Officers responded to reports of an active shooter at the mosque in the Clairemont neighborhood at 11:43 a.m. and arrived four minutes later to find three men dead outside the building. One victim was a security guard, credited by Chief Wahl for his heroic actions that likely prevented further casualties. “Undoubtedly, he saved lives today,” Wahl said. The victims have not been publicly identified.

The Islamic Center’s imam, Taha Hassane, confirmed that all children, teachers, and staff present at the mosque were safe. He described the community as mourning and called the attack “outrageous,” emphasizing the mosque is a place for prayer, celebration, and learning. Monday was the first day of Dhul Hijjah, a sacred month in the Islamic calendar. The mosque announced it will remain closed until further notice.

Less than a quarter-mile from the mosque, police discovered a vehicle with the two suspected shooters inside. The suspects were identified by law enforcement sources as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18. Clark was set to graduate from high school later this month. Earlier Monday, a mother reported her son missing along with multiple weapons and her vehicle, expressing concern that he was suicidal and likely with a friend. Both suspects were reportedly dressed in camouflage.

Chief Wahl said the mother found a note left by her son but declined to disclose details amid the ongoing investigation. Authorities are examining possible anti-Islamic writings found in the suspects’ vehicle. The FBI has not yet determined a motive.

The shooting prompted a response from California Governor Gavin Newsom, who expressed horror at the attack and extended condolences to the Muslim community. “Worshippers anywhere should not have to fear for their lives. Hate has no place in California,” he said. San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria announced increased police presence at places of worship to enhance safety.

The attack drew comparisons to a recent incident at Temple Israel in West Bloomfield, Michigan, where a gunman rammed a truck into a synagogue earlier this year. Temple Israel called for federal funding to protect houses of worship nationwide, emphasizing the necessity of such measures in light of recent violence.

Witnesses near the Islamic Center reported hearing multiple gunshots, with one describing about two dozen shots fired in intervals. Police declared the threat neutralized and established a reunification site nearby. The investigation remains active as authorities continue to gather information.

Sources

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap