Key takeaways:
- House Republicans postponed a vote on a war powers resolution aimed at limiting President Trump's military operations in Iran.
- The resolution would require the president to withdraw U.S. forces from hostilities with Iran unless defending against imminent attacks.
- The War Powers Resolution of 1973 mandates congressional approval for military conflicts lasting over 60 days, a timeline some Republicans say has expired.
House Republicans on Thursday delayed a vote on a war powers resolution that would limit President Donald Trump’s authority to continue U.S. military operations in Iran. The postponement occurred as it became clear the legislation had enough support to pass. Lawmakers are expected to vote on the resolution in June after returning from the Memorial Day recess.
The resolution, sponsored by Rep. Gregory Meeks of New York, the top Democrat on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, seeks to compel the president to withdraw U.S. forces from hostilities against Iran except those necessary to defend the United States or its allies. The legislation aims to enforce the War Powers Resolution of 1973, which requires congressional authorization for military engagements lasting longer than 60 days.
The conflict with Iran began on February 28 without congressional approval and has resulted in at least 13 U.S. service member deaths and Pentagon-reported costs of $25 billion. Despite the ongoing ceasefire since early April, the war has disrupted global energy supplies and contributed to elevated U.S. gas prices.
Last week, the House narrowly rejected a similar war powers resolution in a 212-212 tie, with three Republicans voting in favor. This week, the Senate advanced a related resolution, with four Republican senators supporting it and three absent. The House vote was postponed Thursday because several Republican members were absent, and GOP leaders wanted to allow them to participate.
House Majority Leader Steve Scalise said, “We just had some members that weren’t there for it who wanted to be recorded on it. So we’re going to be giving them that opportunity when we get back.” Meanwhile, House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries and other Democratic leaders criticized Republicans for pulling the vote, calling them “cowardly” and accusing them of avoiding accountability to service members.
Some Republicans have expressed concern that the president’s legal authority to conduct the war without congressional approval has expired. “We’re past 60 days so it’s got to be brought to us to vote on. We’re following the law,” said Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick, a Pennsylvania Republican who plans to support the resolution. Others, like Rep. Brian Mast, a Republican who supports the president’s efforts to counter Iran’s nuclear capabilities, remain supportive of the administration’s approach.
The White House contends that the War Powers Resolution does not apply due to the ceasefire with Iran. President Trump stated earlier this week that he called off plans for renewed attacks after Gulf allies engaged in negotiations. He also warned military leaders to be prepared for a “full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.”
The legislation before the House is a concurrent resolution that would take effect without the president’s signature if passed by both chambers. However, Trump has argued that the 1973 War Powers Resolution is unconstitutional. The growing momentum for congressional action could lead to a legal confrontation over war powers authority.
Sen. Thom Tillis, a North Carolina Republican who has opposed the war powers resolutions so far, criticized the administration’s handling of the conflict and expressed willingness to support an authorization for use of military force. He also expressed frustration with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, though the exact wording of his criticism differs from some reports.







Be First to Comment