Press "Enter" to skip to content

FBI seizes Swalwell devices in sexual misconduct probe

Key takeaways:

  • FBI agents seized Eric Swalwell’s electronic devices Saturday at San Francisco International Airport and searched his Washington, D.C., home Sunday, according to CBS News and NBC News.
  • The warrants are related to a criminal investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against Swalwell, the outlets reported.
  • Swalwell resigned from Congress in April after allegations from several women; he has previously denied criminal wrongdoing and called an assault allegation false, according to the reports.

FBI agents seized electronic devices from former Democratic Rep. Eric Swalwell and searched his Washington, D.C., residence over the weekend as part of a criminal investigation into sexual misconduct allegations, according to CBS News and NBC News.

Agents stopped Swalwell at San Francisco International Airport on Saturday after he landed and took his electronic devices while executing a search warrant, the outlets reported, citing people familiar with the matter. A second warrant was executed Sunday at his home in Washington, D.C. CBS News reported that the Daily Mail first reported the searches.

The FBI declined to comment on the warrants, NBC News reported. An attorney for Swalwell did not immediately respond to NBC News’ request for comment.

Swalwell, a former Democratic congressman from California, resigned from Congress in April and ended his bid for governor after allegations of sexual assault and other misconduct from several women, CBS News reported. He had represented Bay Area districts from 2013 until his resignation.

The accusations included rape, unsolicited explicit messages and nude photos, according to CBS News. The allegations prompted the bipartisan House Ethics Committee to open an investigation, but that probe ended when Swalwell resigned because the committee has jurisdiction only over current members and staff.

Swalwell has previously denied allegations of criminal wrongdoing, NBC News reported. According to CBS News, he acknowledged making “mistakes in judgment,” but said an assault allegation was “false” and vowed to fight it.

The searches came as the White House on Monday released declassified documents related to an earlier FBI investigation involving Swalwell, CBS News reported. The 97 pages of documents stemmed from the bureau’s investigation into Swalwell and his alleged relationship with Christine Fang, a suspected Chinese intelligence operative, more than a decade ago. CBS News reported that many of the details released by the administration were already publicly known and that Swalwell was never charged in that matter.

CBS News also reported that sources said FBI Director Kash Patel had been pressing to release files from the earlier investigation into Swalwell, a detail first reported by The Washington Post.

The weekend searches are tied to the sexual misconduct probe, the outlets reported. No charges were announced in connection with the warrants.

Sources

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap