Press "Enter" to skip to content

Kenya safari helicopter crash kills seven, including five Americans

Key takeaways:

  • The Eurocopter EC130 B4 crashed at 9:13 a.m. local time in Samburu County, killing six passengers and the pilot.
  • The U.S. State Department confirmed five Americans were among the dead and said the U.S. Embassy is providing consular assistance.
  • Ecuadorian officials identified intelligence chief Michele Sensi-Contugi Ycaza and his wife, Stephany Hollihan Vásconez, among those killed.

A charter helicopter carrying tourists on a scenic flight crashed Wednesday in a remote area of northern Kenya, killing all seven people on board, including five Americans and Ecuador’s intelligence chief and his wife, officials said.

The aircraft went down at 9:13 a.m. local time in Samburu County, in the foothills of Mount Ololokwe, according to Kenya’s Civil Aviation Authority. Six passengers and the pilot were aboard, and all were killed, local police said.

A U.S. State Department spokesperson confirmed that five Americans died in the crash and said the U.S. Embassy was working with Kenyan authorities.

“The U.S. Embassy is in touch with local authorities and is providing consular assistance,” the spokesperson said. “We extend our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones on their loss.”

Kenya’s Civil Aviation Authority said the aircraft was a Eurocopter EC130 B4 and that it was coordinating operations after the crash. The agency said the helicopter had been flying from the Loisaba Conservancy to the Ewaso Nyiro area, a river region that runs along several national reserves. NBC News reported that operator Lady Lori Kenya said the charter flight was traveling from Suyian Conservancy to Mount Ololokwe.

Lady Lori Kenya confirmed that one of its helicopters was involved. “Our deepest sympathies are with the guests, crew, their families and loved ones, and all those affected by this tragic accident,” the company said, adding that it was cooperating fully with the investigation.

The identities of all five Americans have not been officially released. NBCUniversal said José Alberto Suárez, president and general manager of Telemundo 31, Telemundo 49 and Telemundo Fort Myers-Naples, was among those killed. In a memo to staff, the company called Suárez “a deeply respected leader and beloved friend and colleague.”

“José was an exceptional colleague and mentor to many,” the memo said. “He cared deeply about his teams, the communities they served and the essential role our stations play in people’s lives.”

NBC News reported that Suárez, 55, had worked across NBCUniversal for nearly 20 years, including in leadership roles at stations in San Antonio, Sacramento, Fresno, Salt Lake City and Las Vegas.

Ecuadorian officials said Michele Sensi-Contugi Ycaza, the director general of Ecuador’s national intelligence center, and his wife, Stephany Hollihan Vásconez, also died in the crash. Ecuador’s presidential office offered condolences over what it called their “sensitive passing,” while the National Assembly said the flag at parliament would fly at half-staff for three days.

“In the face of this irreparable loss, we express our profound solidarity and support to their family, friends, and loved ones during this time of deep sorrow,” the assembly said.

Ecuador’s transport minister, Roberto Luque, wrote on X: “Today Michele and Stephany left us too soon. Thinking of their family, especially their children and parents.” Former President Guillermo Lasso also paid tribute, saying, “My solidarity and closeness to their family members, friends, and colleagues in these moments of profound grief.”

The Kenya Red Cross said emergency teams were part of a multiagency response, but the rugged terrain and an active fire at the crash site slowed search and recovery work. The organization said rescue teams were working to access the area, and the BBC reported that drones were being used to assess the scene.

Tropic Air Kenya, a local safari operator, said it sent two helicopters to assist search and rescue operations.

The aviation authority said Kenya’s transport ministry and Air Accident Investigations Department would lead the investigation into the cause of the crash.

Sources

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap