Key takeaways:
- The Hawk Fire grew from more than 10,500 acres to more than 13,000 acres by Sunday, according to differing reports, and was fueled by gusty winds, low humidity and dry vegetation.
- Nearly 14,000 homes were ordered evacuated, while The Guardian reported nearly 42,000 residents were under evacuation orders and 45,000 more were in a warning zone.
- Nevada Gov. Joe Lombardo mobilized the National Guard, including two helicopter crews and 60 troops, as about 400 personnel fought the fire.
A wind-driven wildfire raced out of the Sierra foothills toward Reno, Nevada, forcing widespread evacuations, burning structures and prompting Gov. Joe Lombardo to declare a state of emergency in Washoe County.
The Hawk Fire began Saturday near Hawk Meadow Trail and grew rapidly through the day, fueled by strong gusts, low humidity and dry vegetation, according to Truckee Meadows Fire & Rescue. By Sunday morning, officials reported it had burned more than 10,500 acres and was 0% contained. The Guardian, citing updated figures, reported the fire had expanded to more than 13,000 acres early Sunday.
The blaze has been burning across rugged terrain in the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, where Peavine Mountain is ringed by homes and businesses near the Nevada-California line. Nearly 14,000 homes were ordered evacuated, CBS News and Al Jazeera reported. The Guardian reported that nearly 42,000 residents were under evacuation orders, with an additional 45,000 people in an evacuation warning zone and encouraged to leave and prepare to remain away for several days.
The “GO NOW” evacuation zone reached the edge of the University of Nevada, Reno campus, though the campus remained just outside the evacuation zone Sunday morning. The university, which had about 24,000 students enrolled in fall 2025, said it had established an emergency response plan if conditions changed. The first day of classes is Aug. 24, and new students were allowed to move in as early as Aug. 13.
“If you have been told to evacuate, please don’t wait!” Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve said in a statement posted late Saturday on social media. “Structures have already been burned in this fire and your life is more important than a building. Evacuating before the fire arrives also allows our firefighters to focus their efforts on battling the blaze.”
Authorities confirmed three civilians and three first responders had been injured and several structures had been destroyed, The Guardian reported.
Lombardo mobilized the Nevada National Guard, sending two helicopter crews to support aerial firefighting and 60 troops to help police protect evacuated neighborhoods. “This is an active and rapidly evolving situation, and I urge everyone in the affected areas to remain vigilant and follow the direction of local officials,” Lombardo said in a statement. “The state is fully engaged, and we are working alongside local authorities and first responders to deploy every available resource to protect lives, safeguard communities, and keep Nevadans out of harm’s way.”
About 400 personnel from local, state and federal agencies were working the fire, including ground crews and air resources, Truckee Meadows Fire & Rescue said. Fire Chief Richard Edwards said the conditions were creating a difficult fight. “The Hawk Fire is a very dynamic incident for us as it’s being driven by the winds,” he said in a video posted to social media. “The wind-driven fires move very rapidly into our residential areas, creating a lot of challenges for our firefighters to save homes and protect lives.”
Nearly 10,000 homes and businesses in Washoe County were without power Sunday. Portions of U.S. Route 395, a major north-south highway, were closed, and The Guardian reported at least 20 road closures were in effect Sunday afternoon. Reno has more than 280,000 residents.
Washoe County opened the Reno-Sparks Convention Center for evacuees but said pets could not be brought there; small and large animals were directed to two other locations. Reno casinos offered discounted hotel rooms to evacuees. Northwest Specialty Hospital said it evacuated all patients “out of an abundance of caution,” and the Northern Nevada Health System said patient and staff safety remained its highest priority.
Reno-Tahoe International Airport was outside the evacuation zone, and commercial flights were unaffected Sunday. Reno-Stead Airport was closed to general aviation traffic but remained open to firefighting aircraft.
The fire follows three wildfires earlier this month north of Reno that forced more than 13,000 residents from their homes, according to the Nevada National Guard.






Be First to Comment