Press "Enter" to skip to content

Burnham says UK backs Ukraine despite Russian drone warning

Key takeaways:

  • Russia’s embassy in London warned that British support for Ukrainian drone strikes inside Russia would “inevitably carry consequences,” but did not specify them.
  • Burnham said the UK would remain “100%” behind Ukraine and continue providing equipment for its defence.
  • Russian officials reported hundreds of Ukrainian drones launched toward Moscow in recent days, while Ukraine reported 17 killed in the latest Russian attacks.

British Prime Minister Andy Burnham said the United Kingdom will continue to support Ukraine “100%” after Russia warned London of “consequences” over British-made drones reportedly used in Ukrainian strikes inside Russia.

“We are not fair-weather friends, we will be there in Ukraine’s hour of need and that won’t change,” Burnham said Tuesday. He said Britain was “providing support so that Ukraine can defend itself,” adding that this had been the UK position throughout the war and “remains the case with me.”

The Russian embassy in London said Monday that “London’s actions will inevitably carry consequences for which it will have to answer,” without specifying what form they might take. In a statement posted on Telegram, the embassy accused Britain of “deliberately opting for an escalation of the Ukraine crisis” while “hypocritically professing a desire for peace.” It added: “The deeper its involvement in the conflict and the greater its support for Kiev’s terrorist machinery, the higher the price it will pay.”

The warning followed reports that Ukraine has used long-range drones to strike targets deep inside Russia, including oil refineries, military and industrial sites, and logistics facilities linked to the online retailer Wildberries. The BBC reported that a military source confirmed UK drones had been used in recent attacks on Russia, which are said to have caused more than £35 billion in economic damage. Al Jazeera reported that Britain’s Ministry of Defence has not confirmed that its drones have been used to attack Russian territory.

The Ministry of Defence said the UK remains “committed to providing the equipment Ukraine needs to defend itself against [Russian President Vladimir] Putin’s illegal invasion.” In April, Britain announced its largest military aid package to Ukraine, including tens of thousands of drones and long-range strike devices. Al Jazeera reported that the package included at least 120,000 drones, and that London later announced a £752 million, or $996 million, funding package including 150,000 drones for Ukraine by the end of 2026.

Ukraine has sharply increased attacks inside Russia as the war grinds on. On Monday night and early Tuesday, Russian officials said hundreds of drones were launched toward the Moscow region. Al Jazeera, citing Moscow’s mayor, reported at least 637 drones were sent toward the capital, with 197 shot down. The BBC reported Russian officials said about 620 drones were flown toward the Moscow region and that air defences destroyed more than 180.

At the weekend, Ukraine fired 822 drones toward Russia, including 600 aimed at Moscow, according to Moscow’s regional governor, who described it as “one of the most massive drone attacks in recent memory.” Seven deaths were reported across Russia. In the Rostov region, five people were killed in a residential area. On Tuesday, regional governor Andrey Vorobyov said a 10-year-old girl was injured and a Wildberries warehouse was damaged.

Russia has repeatedly warned the UK and other Western allies against supplying long-range weapons to Ukraine, including drones and Storm Shadow missiles. Former Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Andrei Fedorov told the BBC that “consequences” could include possible attacks, saying some military experts advising the Kremlin believe NATO would not respond forcefully if Russia struck the UK. “Trump will not allow NATO to answer,” he said.

Burnham rejected any suggestion that Britain would reduce its support. Work and pensions minister Lilian Greenwood also said the UK would continue to “stand shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine,” telling Sky News: “The Russians should be clear that our resolve remains completely steadfast.”

The war continues to cause heavy civilian casualties. United Nations officials said 437 civilians were killed in Ukraine last month, the highest monthly toll since May 2022. In the latest Russian attacks on Ukraine, 17 people were killed, including 10 in the village of Pechenihy in northeastern Ukraine. Russia’s foreign ministry told Tass that 69 people, including three children, had been killed in Russia over the past week.

Sources

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap